Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dream Houses

Bah, my "Blog a Day in May" isn't going so well. The fact is that I don't spend much time in front of the computer and when I do I tend to read blogs not write them.

Last week was kind of exciting and disappointing at the same time. I discovered that a home was up for sale in my dream neighborhood. This is a neighborhood I drive through frequently just to look at the houses and dream. It's been my favorite neighborhood here since we moved in and every time a house goes up for sale (which really isn't that often) I pick up the flyer and check it out.

Well, recently one of the houses went up for sale and for once it wasn't SO prohibitively expensive. I showed it to Michael and he said I should make an appointment to go and see the house. I was pretty excited because usually Michael's not so keen on looking at houses (he always finds something to criticize and therefore won't even go look). So we made an appointment and went to look with a realtor.

For the first time, since looking at houses since we moved here, we really couldn't find anything we really didn't like about the house. In fact, we LOVED the house, loved the yard, loved the neighborhood and loved the location. We could even imagine ourselves living in this house. It isn't that much larger than our house, but it has an extra bedroom and an office. Just what we were looking for. In fact, it's not all that different from our house (which we do love) but more like our house improved upon. It has wainscotting, crown molding, nice wood doors, hardwood floors, extra storage and a 3 car garage (what Michael's always wanted).

Sadly, it's simply just out of our reach financially. We are SO close to being able to afford to make an offer, but just not quite there. As Michael said, it's like we are 2 years off of being able to do it. If we just had more of a cushion in the bank, we could swing it and not feel completely strapped. It's hard for me to let it go. I honestly couldn't think of a better house or location (it's SOOOO private -- backs up to our favorite park!!) for us. I think when I see a "sold" sign on that house I'm going to cry a little.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Heidi -- has the house o' dreams sold yet? With the current economy, and housing market you might want to look at this again!

Aren't there some financial programs recently passed by Congress to help out? I'm no expert, but I keep hearing about stuff like this, but I only listen to it with one ear, because I know we're not going anywhere. Good luck. Keep me updated, my friend!

Hugs, Wendy